About The Guards
The Guards Today
You may be surprised to learn that the soldiers in the Household Division are first and foremost – fighting soldiers – who are at the forefront of commitment to the UN, NATO and our own security and welfare.
The Foot Guards are supremely professional. They perform a dual role, that of world-class combat soldier whilst also being outstandingly professional ceremonial soldiers.
Most people are surprised to learn that the soldiers in the Household Division are first and foremost – fighting soldiers – who are at the forefront of commitment to the UN, NATO and our own security and welfare.
Over the centuries they have fought in almost all the major campaigns that the British Army have been involved in and that is still true today, All the five regiments of Foot Guards have recently been on operations in either Iraq, Afghanistan or Sierra Leone.
Their high standard of training is recognised world-wide and their Non-Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers are frequently called on by numerous countries to instil in their own forces the ethos, of both the ceremonial training and the intricacies of command and control of modern warfare.
Increasingly, the Guards are deployed alongside the UK Police in key locations following terrorist attacks.
Guardsmen worked alongside NHS staff to support them in the Coronavirus Pandemic; undertaking testing and setting up hospital wards.
The Household Division is made up of seven regiments
- The Life Guards
- The Blues and Royals
- Grenadier Guards
- Coldstream Guards
- Scots Guards
- Irish Guards
- Welsh Guards
Within the Household Division the following elements are also attached
- Nijmegan Company – Grenadier Guards, (incremental company)
- No 7 Company – Coldstream Guards, (incremental company)
- F Company – Scots Guards, (incremental company)
- Number 9 Company- Irish Guards, (incremental company)
- Number 12 Company- Irish Guard, (incremental company)
- The Guards Company, 2nd Battalion Infantry Training Centre (Catterick)
- The Guards Parachute Platoon, 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment London Regiment
- His Majesty the King is Colonel in Chief of all the regiments that make up the Household Division.
The Command of the Household Division is made up of the following
- Major General
- ADC to the Major General
- Brigade Major (usually a Lieutenant Colonel)
- Staff Captain
- Staff Officer Ceremonial
- Superintending Clerk
- Garrison Sergeant Major
The mounted and foot elements have their own command chain under the above
- Household Cavalry
- Colonel of The Life Guards
- Colonel of The Blues and Royals
- Regiment Adjutant
- Headquarters Foot Guards
- Lieutenant Colonel Foot Guards
- Staff Officer Recruiting
- Staff Officer Recruiting APC Glasgow